Saturday, October 4, 2008

I GOT INTO A DOOR!

Hello family! It was so wonderful to hear from all of you today. Thank you for your constant and consistent support. I really appreciate it. I was very saddened to hear about Grandpa's passing. But the gospel of Jesus Christ provides such peace and comfort that this life is not the end, but only a small part in the whole spectrum of our existence. We will see him again. How comforted I am to know that.

This has actually been a really good week for us. We are FINALLY finding people who are really interested in the gospel. It's like a miracle, really. I have investigators who are actually progressing! Who are reading, who are praying, who are keeping committments! It's SUCH a nice change, let me tell you. Wow. We have beent eaching Fátima and she went to our activity on Friday, but unfortunately, none of the members showed up, except Manuela, who just kind of weirded Fatima out. Paciencia. But Fatima showed up and that was what was important. She's excited to talk to us tonight. We gave her a Book of Mormon and she was super excited to read from it and just started applying passages to her life. I didn't say ANYTHING. She's great!

We also have Lourdes, who we contacted on the street the first or second day in the transfer. She is really curious and wanting to learn more. She printed out the whole mormon.org website to read at home! She had some concerns, but Filipe came with us and she is really excited to learn more. She is the sweetest lady ever. Seriously.

Anabela has done a great job with Fatima. She's testifying of the Book of Mormon and really helping her friend see the joy of the gospel. She is still not coming to church because of her husband, but I think it's been really good for her to have a purpose in having a testimony.

On Saturday it was my birthday as you all know, and the day was kind of blah. I was kind of bummed because it was my birthday and itw as a weird day and it was about to rain cats and dogs. But we had gone and knocked some doors and one lady said we could come back that night at 8:00pm. So we visited Maria and Adalto and then went back. We knocked the door and we heard them inside debating whether or not to open the door. Irma McKee and I were determined. We were going to wait there as long as need be. Fortunately, we didn't have to wait too long and they opened the door. THEY LET US IN THEIR HOUSE! That was my first door that I've gotten into in Mafra.

We then were able to talk to Ilda and Sofia. Ilda is REALLY searching for the truth. We talked for a little while and then set up a return appointment. I'm really excited to go back and teach them. That was probably the best birthday present, was that door opening to people who were normal and ready to learn.

Unfortunately, Sporting lost to Benfica. Sigh.

Yesterday we taught Barbara, whom I had contacted last transfer and she was really excited. She made me give her directions to the chapel and even reminded me when I forgot! The work is starting to go somewhere!

In other news, Continente just opened in Mafra. There are signs EVERYWHERE about it. Continente is the Target of Portugal. Also, we have been seeing this couple with a horse and buggy. We have seen them in several different cities around the area. Not something you see every day.

Well, I'm out of time, but know that I love you all and that I am doing well and feeling MUCH better! It's nice to be able to work again! I hope you all have a great week! I love you!!

Beijinhos,
Irmã Laura Thomas

No comments: